Just this week the Fair Fines and Fees Coalition found out:
- Only 11% of Buffalo patrol officers are issuing stop receipts in compliance with Mayor Brown’s executive order
- 68% of BPD traffic stops were Black drivers, only 19% of stopped drivers were white
- We need a public database of all stops, both traffic and pedestrian, which the Common Council has tabled and not reintroduced
- Using just 9 school speed cameras, the City is pulling $1.25 million per week from our community members, which is 91% of what NYC makes off 750 cameras
- The City is trying to balance its budget by issuing 5000 tickets a week for driving 26 mph in school zones
- Infrastructure like speed bumps, chicanes, lane narrowing and other slow street design is the way to make our streets safe, not cameras, tickets or policing.
Join us on Friday to demand that city leaders take action to make traffic safe by design, not by discriminatory enforcement!